[Doc-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] Documentation packages

Dethe Elza delza at blastradius.com
Wed Oct 1 16:11:36 EDT 2003

My $0.02 (Canadian), for what it's worth:

While Windows users may have trouble with *.bz2, and be unfamiliar
enough with the extension *.tgz to not even try (even if it does work),
I've never known a *nix box to have trouble with *.zip or known a unix
user who had trouble with *.zip.  So I'd suggest keeping the various
flavors of documentation, but standardize on zip compression.  That
will at least remove one variable.

I agree that the main point of all of this is to reduce confusion for
the newbie coming to the site to download it.  But 90% of those are
going to be windows users, and the rest of us have gotten used to
living in a windows-dominated world.  Using bz2 may get you better
compression and save bandwidth, but it wasn't standard the last time I
installed RedHat or Debian.  Zip has it's faults, but everybody is
familiar with it.

--Dethe