[Doc-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] Documentation packages

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Wed Oct 1 14:36:15 EDT 2003

Aahz writes:
 > * It's another step in the release process

The way I wrote up the documentation release in PEP 101, generating
the files isn't even a step.  There are a couple of make commands that
cause these to be generated; these would not change; just the
definitions for those targets would change.

 > * It takes up extra space on the servers

There is this; not a huge deal, but considering we're running on
hardware owned by XS4ALL, and we're dependent on their goodwill, we
shouldn't waste the space if we don't need to.

 > Following Fred's suggestion saves time and space.

I think more important is that it reduces the number of options that
get presented to some who's looking to download something.  The
plethora of documentation packages is almost embarassing when compared
to the number of packages for the interpreter itself: the sources as a
.tar.gz package (no ZIP!), and the Windows installer.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation