[Doc-SIG] Updates to Docutils

David Goodger goodger@users.sourceforge.net
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 01:22:24 -0400

* Improved vertical whitespace issues with HTML output.  This affects
  first and last elements in containers, and removes unnecessary top
  and bottom margins (resp.).  For example, a literal block at the top
  of a table cell won't have a ridiculous top margin.

* Changes to API details that affects client code:

  - Renamed transform method "transform" to "apply".

  - Renamed "options" to "settings" for runtime settings (as set by
    command-line options).  Sometimes "option" (singular) became
    "settings" (plural).  Some variations below:

    - document.options -> document.settings (stored in other objects
      as well)
    - option_spec -> settings_spec (not directives though)
    - OptionSpec -> SettingsSpec
    - cmdline_options -> settings_spec
    - relative_path_options -> relative_path_settings
    - option_default_overrides -> settings_default_overrides
    - core.Publisher.set_options -> core.Publisher.get_settings

  - Renamed core.publish() to core.publish_cmdline(), and added
    placeholders for new publish_string() and publish_file()
    convenience functions.

  Please make corresponding changes to client code.  I'll be happy to
  help if it's non-trivial.  I've updated many of the modules in the
  sandbox, but I may not have changed everything (or I may have
  changed too much).  Individual authors, please test the updated
  code.  Thanks.

  Gunnar, I wasn't able to update DocFactory.  It seemed to be using
  "options" in different ways, doing its own config file parsing, and
  I didn't know which "options" to change to "settings".

* Some bug fixes.

--
David Goodger  <goodger@users.sourceforge.net>  Open-source projects:
  - Python Docutils: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/