[Doc-SIG] [development doc updates]

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Wed, 22 May 2002 22:01:54 -0400

Walter D=F6rwald wrote:
 > The table solution seems rather fragile.
 >
 > Why not use something like this:
[example elided]

Using CSS works well enough with the most modern & up to date
browsers, but many users don't update as aggressively as I do, and are
using older browsers.  My boss, for instance, uses Netscape
4.something, which doesn't do well with even moderate CSS.  There are
enough browsers out there that either don't implement all the
specifications, or don't get all the corner cases right, that CSS is
still only acceptable for "detailing", not for substantial
presentational control.

Now, we can definately be more aggressive with CSS for HTML that will
be converted to HTML Help in future releases, but that's only because
we don't expect the standards support to vary in that application.
User-selected browsers on the open Web are a different world.

 > An example how this might look can be found at
 > http://www.livinglogic.de/Python/xist/converters/index.html
 > (scroll down to the Converter constructor)

Nice!

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>