[Doc-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] [development doc updates]

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 21 May 2002 11:59:19 -0400

Jeff Epler writes:
 > Depending on my browser window's width I get a layout like
 >
 >     class	       addr[, requestHandler[,
 >     SimpleXMLRPCServer(logRequests]])

Ugh!

 > while I would hope for a layout like
 >
 >     class
 >     SimpleXMLRPCServer(addr[, requestHandler[,
 > 		       logRequests]])

That would be ideal.  I'd love to be able to "weight" possible line
break locations somehow, but I don't think that's possible with
today's CSS, even in the more advanced browsers.

 > I don't know if it's possible to do this, but it seems that the first
 > line of the parameter list should have the same baseline as the opening
 > paren of the declaration.  If this is not possible, then either forcing
 > 'class SimpleXMLRPCServer' to not linebreak, or returning to the old
 > layout

Avoiding that linebreak should be easy; the equivalent for C function
descriptions is already there.  I'll upload an improved version
shortly.

David Abrahams writes:
 > Cool idea! I'm going to have to steal it... after you fix it ;-)
 >
 > On IE6, the doc for excepthook at
 > http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/lib/module-sys.html looks like this
 > when wrapped:
 >
 > excepthook type, value,
 > (          traceback)

Interesting; I can't get Mozilla to do that, no matter how narrow I
make the Window.  ;-)  I'll play with this when I have a Windows
machine in front of me.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>