[Doc-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] [development doc updates]

Jeff Epler jepler@unpythonic.net
Tue, 21 May 2002 10:32:59 -0500

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 11:05:55AM -0400, Fred L. Drake wrote:
> The development version of the documentation has been updated:
>
>     http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel/
>
> Experimental change:  Add some really heavy markup in function signatures
> so that when the signature line is wrapped because the browser window is
> too narrow, the argument list will wrap to the left parenthesis opening the
> argument list.

Depending on my browser window's width I get a layout like

    class	       addr[, requestHandler[,
    SimpleXMLRPCServer(logRequests]])

while I would hope for a layout like

    class
    SimpleXMLRPCServer(addr[, requestHandler[,
		       logRequests]])

I don't know if it's possible to do this, but it seems that the first
line of the parameter list should have the same baseline as the opening
paren of the declaration.  If this is not possible, then either forcing
'class SimpleXMLRPCServer' to not linebreak, or returning to the old
layout

    class SimpleXMLRPCServer(addr[, requestHandler[,
    logRequests]])

might be preferable.

Jeff
PS Please Cc: on replies, not a doc-sig subscriber