[Doc-SIG] References in the same line as the target text

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 11:45:01 -0400

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002, David Goodger wrote:
> Simon Budig wrote:
>>
>> Also for my personal homepage as mentioned at the beginning of the
>> Mail I am pretty picky, since graphical stuff has a pretty high
>> priority in my life...
>
> But there are no graphics in plaintext.  You're asking for too much.
> Either the plaintext is at least equally as important as the HTML (in
> which case they ought to look as similar as possible, precluding
> inline URLs that aren't displayed in the HTML), or the HTML is more
> important (in which case you're the only one who will ever read the
> plaintext).  I suspect the latter.

Enh.  I disagree with this line of reasoning.  Where I'm coming from is
wanting to use reST to save writing time for structured documents;
nobody but me will use the plaintext.  I do agree that graphics are
beside the point for reST, but that's because of the emphasis on
*structure*.  To the extent that graphics are part of a structured
design, I think reST should support them (and already does, I think).
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

Project Vote Smart: http://www.vote-smart.org/