[Doc-SIG] using the same delimiter on the left and right..

klm@digicool.com klm@digicool.com
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:08:30 -0500 (EST)

David Goodger wrote:

> Trying to enforce rules on people for a supposedly 'transparent' markup
> system like ST is ass-backwards. The markup must abide by common usage, not
> the other way around. That's the strongest argument against using
> single-quotes for inline literals I know of. We can use `backticks` or
> `symmetric quotes' or <gasp!> *both*! (I see problems with symmetric, like:
> "string assignment: `s = 'this is a string''". Single-quotes are just too
> common in all contexts, IMHO.)

Obviously, many of us don't think it's ass backwards.  Structured text
uses conventions that take their markup significance from their
common usage.  Many of us find this to be a big benefit in practice.
A common use for single quotes is to signify literals - they're used
for contractions and other things, but by paying attention to context
there's no conflict.

I would note that you use structured text conventions, like
*asterisks* for emphasis, in the very text where you dismiss
structured text's approach.

Ken Manheimer
klm@digicool.com