On ordered Lists (was RE: [Doc-SIG] Formalizing ST)

Peter Funk pf@artcom-gmbh.de
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:54:42 +0200 (MEST)

Hi,

Goodger, David:
> People will write ordered/enumerated lists in all different ways. I think
> that it's folly to try to come up with the "perfect" format for an
> enumerated list, and limit the docstring parser's recognition to that one
> format only. Why limit ourselves to RE-processing here? We're writing
> software here! Using Python!
>
> Rather, recognize a variety of formats as potential enumerated lists, and
> decide based on the labels. If a "potential enumerated list item" (PELI) is
> labeled with a "1.", and is immediately followed by a PELI labeled with a
> "2.", we've got an enumerated list. Or "A" followed by "B". Or "i)" followed
> by "ii)", etc. We wouldn't have any problem with any of these, even without
> requiring blank lines:

This looks like a reasonable idea, indeed.  I like it.
However implementation is slightly complex.  I would defer this
to second stage, after the simpler ones have come into reality.

> The chances of a PELI labeled with "2" after "1 is all I neeed", or "II."
> after the last example, are acceptably small.

Yes.  That makes sense.

Regards, Peter
--
Peter Funk, Oldenburger Str.86, D-27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Fax:+49 4222950260
office: +49 421 20419-0 (ArtCom GmbH, Grazer Str.8, D-28359 Bremen, Germany)