[Doc-SIG] suggestions for a PEP

Edward Welbourne Edward Welbourne <eddy@chaos.org.uk>
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 22:58:57 +0000 (GMT)

Tony then Edward said:
>> dosctrings inherit like any other value, surely?
> Um.. yes, but that's not always what you want.  Basically, if I define::

>  class A:
>      def f(x):
>         "this if f(x)"
>         return 1
>
>   class B(A):
>      def f(x):
>         return 2
>
> Then I might want B.f to inherit its docs from A.f.

Albeit (at least at 1.5.2, as Tony has pointed out) I can set B.f to A.f
by assignment, I agree with Edward, sort of, that this is what `should'
happen.  But ...

This sounds more like *acquisition* than inheritance, so I really want
to drag Jim Fulton into its discussion.  Sadly I haven't had time to
play with Zope and pursue acquisition algebra yet.  (Bloody capitalism -
keeps me too busy to have fun ;^)

Hi Jim, Doc-Sig calling ...

	Eddy.
--
If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way you were told.