[Doc-SIG] Version 0.4 of reST quick guide

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:39:04 +0100

David Goodger wrote:
> I fixed two problem areas:
>
> 1. "Inline markup", last row. A backslash was escaping a single-quote,
>    which isn't markup. Changed to backquotes.

Thanks. I *think* I'd just forgotten what I was doing in context there.

> 2. "Autonumbered footnotes". Changed the autonumber labels, added an
>    explanatory note.

OK. I was trying to work from Garth's notes, so was half sure I hadn't
quite got it all (no problem with Garth's notes, just with my
understanding!). I think, from your amendments, that I now do
understand.

> Also expanded "reST" abbreviations (I'm still not comfortable with
> them, especially not the Aretha Franklin association -- silly Tibs).

Heh, silly is good (although I've always wanted "weird"). I still like
the abbreviation reST, and shall continue to use it (I seriously think
it is better than RST, which is rather bland and quite likely to be used
for all sorts of other things). The Aretha Franklin association is,
well, not *really* something other people have to care about!

But, regardless, I'm OK with using the full name in the quickref, and
have left it so.

> Added to CVS as version 0.4.1: restructuredtext/docs/quickref.html.
> Please feel free to undo my butchery.

Looks OK to me.

> I await version 0.5.

See below - I've also fixed some HTML errors (stupid ones, on my part -
should have used HTML tidy) that Amos Latteier (hope he doesn't mind my
mentioning him) has pointed out.

> Soon to be available at:
>
> http://structuredtext.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html

Heh - it's there already! Anyway, I've taken a copy, and applied my
edits to that, to produce version 0.4.2 (I don't think it warrants a
whole 0.9 change in version number).

By the way, I note that you changed the title from quick_reST to
quickref - I'm not *terribly* fussed, but I would have thought that some
redundancy in the title would be a good thing (for instance, if someone
is downloading it to local disk for use, they don't *really* want to
have to think up a good name for it, and if *everyone* calls their
quickref document "quickref"...).

Of course, as a point either for my point or against it (hmm), I note
that the Python quick reference is already called quick-ref2.0.html.

Opinions?

Regardless, since I still don't have any response from Sourceforge on my
user name, I don't have to worry about trying to update it directly (!),
and thus I have updated the (by now familiar)

	http://www.tibsnjoan.co.uk/reST/quick_reST.html

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive
continuity of ducks." - Dorothy L. Sayers, "Gaudy Night"