[Doc-SIG] Comments on the reST notes

David Goodger dgoodger@bigfoot.com
Thu, 09 Aug 2001 23:07:13 -0400

[Tony, on horizontal rules]
> Oh, by no way should they be in "plain" reST - but I would advocate
> support in (for instance) the HTML-preparation mode of reST (indeed,
> I do, and that is the correct place for it).

But they'd still need support in the intermediate data structure
(dps.nodes & the DTD).

[Tony, on batch environments (like Wikis) and "guessing"]
> You're assuming that the "author" gives a toss

[Garth]
> I'm pretty sure that even if the XML above were translated to HTML,
> a reader would be able to figure out that there was some crummy
> indentation. If a community suffered enough from documents with
> crummy indentation from authors who never bothered to go back and
> read their contributions, I suspect they'd add a "click here to read
> the original reST" button. :)

I don't know how Wikis work. When somebody posts a new message I would
expect it to say "Error in message: please correct" until there are no
errors, then show the processed version to the user and allow them to
post or edit their message.

In any case, this is an application issue.

--
David Goodger    dgoodger@bigfoot.com    Open-source projects:
 - Python Docstring Processing System: http://docstring.sourceforge.net