[Doc-SIG] Comments on the reST notes

Garth T Kidd garth@deadlybloodyserious.com
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 09:18:44 +1000

>     This is some text.
>
>             This *looks* like it might
>             be indented wrongly, but...
>
>         ...in fact this blockquote is
>         OK, so it isn't.
>
> Does that "fall out" ok with your current parser?

Yep::

  <document>
    <block_quote>
      <paragraph>
        This is some text.
      </paragraph>
      <block_quote>
        <block_quote>
          <paragraph>
            This
            <emphasis>
              looks
            </emphasis>
             like it might
            be indented wrongly, but...
          </paragraph>
        </block_quote>
        <paragraph>
          ...in fact this blockquote is
          OK, so it isn't.
        </paragraph>
      </block_quote>
    </block_quote>
  </document>

> You're assuming that the "author" gives a toss - that they come in to
> edit a Wiki page (for instance) and actually bother to read it
> afterwards to make sure it makes sense. I bet this isn't always so.
>
> I'm assuming that the reader should be given a chance to make
> sense out of what a poor author wrote,

I'm pretty sure that even if the XML above were translated to HTML, a
reader would be able to figure out that there was some crummy
indentation. If a community suffered enough from documents with crummy
indentation from authors who never bothered to go back and read their
contributions, I suspect they'd add a "click here to read the original
reST" button. :)

Regards,
Garth.