[Doc-SIG] Comments on the "problems with structured text"

David Goodger dgoodger@bigfoot.com
Thu, 09 Aug 2001 23:07:14 -0400

[Tony, on tables and header rows]
> It *might* be worth emailing the person who wrote/maintains the code
> to see if they are interested (and, of course, it gives them egoboo
> since we're using their module as a contributing reason for adopting
> this format).

I wrote to the developer, Takaaki OTA, some time ago, asking for
advice on how to change it. He showed me how hard-coded hyphens were,
and didn't seem interested in adding support for header rows.

I'll write again, this time posting to the mailing list
(http://table.sourceforge.net).

[on problems.txt]
> I think that a "Historical background" document, containing the pros
> and cons of past arguments, would be a good thing - partly for the
> same reason we have "refused" PEPs, and partly just 'cos that sort
> of thing *can* be neat. Of course, it's yet more work to saddle you
> with.

When I have time, I'll update it. But it's low-priority.

[on the Grand Unification Theory]
> Hmm - you haven't watched the Doc-SIG for as long as I have.

I have read through much of the archives, though. This debate dates
back to 1996 on Doc-SIG. It may go back further, elsewhere.

--
David Goodger    dgoodger@bigfoot.com    Open-source projects:
 - Python Docstring Processing System: http://docstring.sourceforge.net