[Doc-SIG] reST: Section titles and "underlining"

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 10:15:25 +0100

David Goodger wrote:
> >     You don't say which characters may be used as "underlines" for
> >     section titles.
>
> The spec says:
>
>     An underline/overline is a line of non-alphanumeric characters
>     that begins in column 1 and extends at least as far as the right
>     edge of the title text.

Hmm - I misread slightly.

> So any of the RE character set '[!-/:-@[-`{-~]' is valid. Should I
> spell them all out? Restrict them further? (I know, some of them
> wouldn't be appropriate, but that's an aesthetic decision.)

Ah - but that set of characters is *not* implied by "non-alphanumeric
characters" - you left out, for instance, DEL (to be a pedant - erm,
which I am).

I would prefer that it explicitly list the characters, yes, and I'd also
prefer that it not mention REs in doing so!

Oh - thinks - so one can also do::

    Section title

OK, in that case please make it really obvious that this is allowed (I
don't remember any of the examples showing this sort of thing).

Just the facts, ma'am