[Doc-SIG] reST - spaces and tabs

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 10:12:12 +0100

David Goodger replied to me:
> >     As to spaces versus tabs - this sounds like it will
> >     lead to all of
> >     the traditional discussions we get on the Python list
> >     about whether
> >     one can mix spaces/tabs, and whether a tab is *really* 8 or 4
> >     spaces, leading finally to space eating nanoviruses (ick). I'd
> >     suggest that this is dangerous territory, and that the behaviour
> >     of tabs should be carefully undefined.
>
> Or precisely defined, which is how it is now. Any specific
> suggestions for improvements?

Hmm - Python has had it precisely defined for years, and that hasn't
stopped the flames.

I would be tempted *very strongly* to say that spaces should be used,
and the behaviour of tabs within reST is undefined.

It might also be worth seeking some BDFL/Tim Peters advice on this one
point - I'd trust their feeling over mine.

But it's not something I'll fight too long over.

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive
continuity of ducks." - Dorothy L. Sayers, "Gaudy Night"