[Doc-SIG] Issues with 2.1 doc PDF files

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:26:56 -0500

> Would you *like* to be able to read the Python PDF version onscreen,
> or is one of the other versions preferable for you?

I would surmise that for almost everybody, HTML wins big over PDF
onscreen, and PDF wins big over HTML for printing.  Soon, I bet we
won't have to distribute PostScript any more, because everyone can use
PDF for printing.  But for on-screen viewing, the pagination of PDF
quickly gets annoying.  This is quite independent from the content,
and applies to any kind of documentation, not just Python's.

Now, some *producers* of information prefer to only give you PDF even
for on-screen viewing, because it gives them more control over fonts
and lay-out.  Occasionally (e.g. with detailed drawings where zooming
in is actually useful) I see the point, but usually browsing PDF just
annoys me.