[Doc-SIG] Too many files!

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 17:40:10 -0400 (EDT)

  The Python 2.0 documentation was released as 18(!) different files.
There are three different formatted versions (HTML, PDF, PostScript),
with two paper sizes for each of the later, and a documentation source
package.  For each of these variants, three different archive formats
are provided.
  At some point, I'd like to provide HTML Help as well.  This has been
provided by a volunteer in the past, and may be again (otherwise I get
to do it).  That's another file (making 19).
  Does anyone mind if I remove any of these from future releases?
Which ones?  The .tar.bz2 files are the best compressed, and there are
reports that tools are available to handle these on Windows.  Would
anyone object if I removed the .tgz and .zip archives?

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs Team Member