[Doc-SIG] PEP-0216

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 12:05:52 -0000

Juergen Hermann [mailto:jh@web.de] wrote:
> Convert the StructuredText markup to DocBook, and then use 4XSLT to
> generate HTML (XSLT stylesheets for DocBook are there). Being able to
> generate HTML with a pure Python tool chain is a minimum requirement I
> think.
>
> Manpages and LaTeX might require a Jade etc. installation still, but
> it's certainly possible, and we're on Linux/FreeBSD documentation
> projects ground here, i.e. the tools DO exist. They just have to be
> installed in addition to Python.

First inspection indicates that generation of HTML and DocBook are already
provided by STNG. Adding the backend to generate something else "similar"
(e.g., some LaTeX variant) should be very easy. Indeed, the main way of
accessing the structured text appears to be via DOM calls (which I believe
is what you're really after?).

Heh, those Digicool people might just know what they're doing...

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive
continuity of ducks." - Dorothy L. Sayers, "Gaudy Night"