[Doc-SIG] <tt> tagging (was Re: Some random thoughts)

Peter Funk pf@artcom-gmbh.de
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 08:44:45 +0100 (MET)

Hi!

> Peter Funk writes:
>  > A <tt> (or monospaced) tag is not only pure presentation.

Fred L. Drake, Jr.:
>   The tt font is needed for your examples, but more than just that:
> it must be recognized as a complete, pre-formatted chunk.  Whitespace,
> including line endings, must also be preserved.

Agreed.  That was what I meant by writing "glyph position carry
content".

>   You hint that you understand this, but I think this separates your
> examples from general <tt> markup support.
>   I don't see any need to support arbitrary specification of a tt
> font in a docstring.  We just need to recognize ASCII diagrams,
> tables, and code snippets.  Heck, we don't have to understand them, or
> even tell one from the other.

100% agreed.

Regards, Peter
--
Peter Funk, Oldenburger Str.86, D-27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Fax:+49 4222950260
office: +49 421 20419-0 (ArtCom GmbH, Grazer Str.8, D-28359 Bremen)