[Doc-SIG] <tt> tagging (was Re: Some random thoughts)

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 14:39:25 -0500 (EST)

Peter Funk writes:
 > A <tt> (or monospaced) tag is not only pure presentation.

  The tt font is needed for your examples, but more than just that:
it must be recognized as a complete, pre-formatted chunk.  Whitespace,
including line endings, must also be preserved.
  You hint that you understand this, but I think this separates your
examples from general <tt> markup support.
  I don't see any need to support arbitrary specification of a tt
font in a docstring.  We just need to recognize ASCII diagrams,
tables, and code snippets.  Heck, we don't have to understand them, or
even tell one from the other.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>