[Doc-SIG] outdent.el (for .py editing in Emacs)

Randall Hopper aa8vb@yahoo.com
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:17:09 -0500

Ken Manheimer:
 |I've been meaning to mention my outdent.el - it provides emacs
 |outline-mode style text visibility control based on indentation, and
 |runs as a minor mode - so you can run it in conjunction with python
 |mode.  I find it quite useful for looking at the structure of modules,
 |especially large ones, and narrowing focus to particular portions.

That is a really nice aid for Emacs users.  Personally I think this is
worth posting to the main python list! ;-)  And linked off of
http://www.python.org/emacs/, if you're confortable with it.

I can see myself using this a good bit.  So many times I've been browsing
someone else's .py and wanted to know what class we're in.  Page up, page
up, page up, and hope you don't miss it, or do a search-backward-regex.
Now just C-c C-u.  Hiding can be useful for browsing too, as you said.

Seeing outdent-show-all, I was looking for an 'outdent-hide-all' or
'outdent-hide-this-level', but didn't find one.  No big deal.  I'll write a
macro for that sometime.

Thanks for the tool.

--
Randall Hopper