[Doc-SIG] Documentation systems for other languages

Ken Manheimer klm@i.am
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 17:15:51 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000 16:05:59 PST, bill janssen wrote:

> Before that, (i think) edward welbourne wrote:

> > For a pythonic system, folding would mean taking any fairly large chunk
> > of code or doc (sharing a common base indent) and providing for it to be
> > *displayed* (by the IDE) either (open fold) as the whole chunk or
> > (closed fold) as a single line carrying (typically encoded as a comment)
> > some text that says what's in the fold.  In between, of course, we have
> > the fold open but some portions of its contents folded out of sight.
> > Most modern directory-browsers display directory tree hierarchies in a
> > way instantly recognisable to anyone who ever used a folded editor.
>
> Sounds like outline mode in emacs.  The GNU Emacs support for SGML
> provides this, perhaps more closely resembling what you describe.

I've been meaning to mention my outdent.el - it provides emacs
outline-mode style text visibility control based on indentation, and
runs as a minor mode - so you can run it in conjunction with python
mode.  I find it quite useful for looking at the structure of modules,
especially large ones, and narrowing focus to particular portions.

There are things yet to be done for it - searching can leave the
cursor within hidden regions (so you need to hit ^C^I or ^C^S to
expose where you are - interrupting the search), and i've been hoping
for years to have a moment to incorporate this functionality directly
in python-mode.el, but alas.  It should be useful as is - it is for
me...

Find it at http://starship.python.net/crew/klm/outdent.el

Ken Manheimer
klm@i.am