[Doc-SIG] Re: SMTP?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 12:38:44 +0100

Gerrit Holl <gerrit.holl@pobox.com> wrote:
> Ulf Engstrøm wrote:
> > I've build a little mailthingy based on the 11.9.2 SMTP Example  from Python
> > Library Reference but when I use it I'll get an empty mail with no sender
> > and no msg, eventhough I don't get any errors whatsoever...Do I have to
> > change something with the headers? If yes, what?
>
> Hmm, questions about smtplib are asked *very* often. Is the documentation
> clear enough?

no.

the library is pretty low-level, and the documentation
doesn't add much (it points to the relevant RFC's, but
nobody seems to be following those links).

I once contributed a (IMHO) better example, which
1) actually imported all modules that were used in
the example, 2) used more reasonable python con-
structs (raw_input instead of that prompt hack, etc),
and 3) showed how to add the basic headers to the
message body.

as far as I can tell, only (1) made it into the docs...

</F>

<!-- (the eff-bot guide to) python network programming
http://www.pythonware.com/people/fredrik/networkbook.htm
-->