[Doc-SIG] turtle.py

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 17:18:26 -0400 (EDT)

Gerrit Holl writes:
 > I would like to help, but I don't know La(tex). Is that needed?

Gerrit,
  It certainly helps, but the LaTeX that we use is sufficiently
stylized that copying the style from existing documentation goes a
long way.  Since you appear to be a Linux user, you probably have one
TeX installation or another installed, or can do so easily.  (I'd
recommend teTeX if you don't already have one.)
  If working with LaTeX is not doable for some reason, I'd be glad to
mark up documentation for the standard documents.  If you include
untested LaTeX based on the examples, that would be better than no
markup at all.  Examples of whole documents and single-module sections
are in the Doc/examples/ directory of the documentation source
archive.

 > Anyway, there is another issue. I can try to document the turtle.py
 > module, but I don't understand everything myself ;-).

  That would be a problem. ;-)  I can't help there; I've never looked
at turtle.py myself.

 > But what do I have to know if I want do document anything? Or is that
 > somewhere at the page (sorry, no internet connection this evening).

  There is a preliminary version of a document called "Documenting
Python" at http://www.python.org/doc/current/; that gives some
information about writing documentation for Python.  It's not
complete, and I'm not sure when I'll have any real time to work on it,
but specific questions or comments will certainly help me flesh out
the most critical parts of it.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>