[Doc-SIG] Global Module Index

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 13:30:02 -0500 (EST)

Christopher G. Petrilli writes:
 > Or maybe an option component of \declaremodule?  This sounds good

  \declaremodule currently has the form:

	\declaremodule[key]{standard|builtin|...}{modulename}

where "key" is an optional parameter that is used to specify a
reference key component when the modulename contains an underscore.
Additional paramters would have to be required, and I don't want to
penalize documentation authors for portable modules.  Probably the
easiest way to deal with it in LaTeX would be something like:

	\forplatform{myplat}{
	  \declaremodule...
	}

which is a little ugly.  I could probably work out the logistics with
the less-hostile form (no nesting):

	\declaremodule...
	  \platform{myplat}

 > though, as it would require people to explicitely document platform
 > specific pieces, and eventually could be used to break the manual into
 > pieces automatically.

  I'd probably avoid fully automatic decomposition, but I can see
having a script that would take a file like lib.tex and produce
something similar but only with (or without) the bits for specific
platforms.  Once you have that, automation is mostly a matter of glue,
though I'd expect it to be little used.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>
1895 Preston White Dr.	    Reston, VA  20191