[Doc-SIG] XML Conversion Update

Fred L. Drake, Jr. Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:17:50 -0400 (EDT)

Paul Prescod writes:
 > I think that we should use a variant of Docbook and use some SGML
 > minimizations supported by sgmllib (or that COULD be supported by
 > sgmllib). WE can trivially use sgmllib+sax to normalize minimized SGML

  So you favor SGML over XML?  That had been my original thought, but
I shifted as more & better XML tools became available.  I am not tied
to XML, however.

I said:
 >   3.  Create something entirely new and specific to Python.

Which Paul questioned:
 > How is this different from porting over what we have? Hasn't it evolved
 > to be pretty Python specific?

  What we have is fairly Python-specific, but there's still a lot of
legacy which I'd love to get rid of.  I'm not at all convinced that
it's terribly *good*.  This conversion effort would be an excellent
time to use a better-designed structure.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>