[Doc-SIG] New directory layout for Python documentation tree

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 19 May 1998 10:15:51 -0400 (EDT)

  I've worked on the layout of the Python documentation tree a little;
the top level is a little (!) less cluttered.  In particular, it now
looks like this:

	Doc/
	    api/	# individual documents
	    ext/
	    lib/
	    mac/
	    ref/
	    tut/

	    icons/	# utilities/tool support stuff
	    perl/
	    texinputs/
	    tools/

	    html/	# output areas
		 api/
		 ext/
		 lib/
		 mac/
		 ref/
		 tut/
	    info/
	    paper-a4/
	    paper-letter/

  The Makefile at the top level has changed a lot (probably not
enough), but the main targets all seem to work just fine.  Formatting
for A4 paper can be done just by using "make PAPER=a4" instead of
"make"; the paper-related output will automatically end up in the
appropriate paper-*/ directory (.dvi, .pdf, and .ps).
  I'd like interested people to try out the new directory layout and
tool changes to see if there are any problems that I've not been able
to identify.  I'm also interested in whether any additional
flexibility is needed in the build process.  Note that the process
requires a fairly substantial LaTeX installation and the latest
release of latex2html; see the README for specific information on the
versions we're using and where to get them.
  I've placed a number of tarballs on ftp.python.org in the directory
pub/python/doc/testing/.  If your interested in trying out the new
tree and process changes, please download the sources tarball
(latex-1.5.1-testing.tgz), read the README, and give it a whirl.  The
other tarballs are the output I get, and (big disclaimer here) may not
reflect the actual state of any Python release.  Yes, there are
changes here that relate to the development version of Python, so
please don't rely on the documents themselves.  (Ok, the changes that
don't apply to the release versions are very small.)
  I'm very interested in feedback, so please give it a try if you can
and let me know if you have any problems with the process or concerns
about the new layout of the tree.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.