[DOC-SIG] Library reference SGML plan / size of supplied documentation

Bill Janssen janssen@parc.xerox.com
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 21:37:20 PST

Excerpts from ext.python: 18-Nov-97 Re: [DOC-SIG] Library refer.. Guido
van Rossum@CNRI.Re (1146)

> While I agree that PDF has advantages over Postscript, what drives me
> crazy is people putting up documents on the web in PDF format. for
> online viewing.  What's wrong with this?  It puts PAGE BREAKS in the
> middle of paragraphs.  Page breaks are a print media feature.  I don't
> want page breaks in document I'm viewing on line -- the printed paper
> page size has no relationship on my screen.

While I agree with this in spirit, there is an incredibly long and
illustrious history of page-oriented rhetorical science (art?).  PDF is
a good Net way to make use of this science, though I agree that it's
irritating.  I'd rather have things adapt to the size and shape I give
them, if it doesn't matter to the author.

Reminds me again of the Halasz split between "card sharks" (people who
like card (and page) oriented hypertext) and "holy scrollers" (people
who like endless-scrolled-document style hypertext).  HTML has made us
all holy scrollers whether we like it or not...

Bill