[DOC-SIG] Library reference SGML plan / size of supplied documentation

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 23:36:27 -0500

> From: Bill Janssen <janssen@parc.xerox.com>

> Yes, I'd rather have PDF instead of Postscript:  it has a good model of
> page-formatted documents, as Postscript does; it supports links, which
> Postscript doesn't; it allows cut and paste (well, mainly just cut)
> operations on text in the document, which Postscript doesn't;
> `ghostscript' works quite well on it, as with Postscript.

I'm in an inflammatory mood this week.  It must be my hormones :-)

While I agree that PDF has advantages over Postscript, what drives me
crazy is people putting up documents on the web in PDF format. for
online viewing.  What's wrong with this?  It puts PAGE BREAKS in the
middle of paragraphs.  Page breaks are a print media feature.  I don't
want page breaks in document I'm viewing on line -- the printed paper
page size has no relationship on my screen.

Please use PDF for printable files -- not for on line documents!