[DOC-SIG] SGML for Python Documentation

Paul Prescod papresco@technologist.com
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 09:40:15 -0500

Bill Janssen wrote:
> Yes, it's this kind of somewhat-defective tool chain that makes me
> mistrust most current SGML-based solutions that I've seen.
>
> My requirements:
>
>     - must be able to produce good plain text, Postscript or PDF, and
>     HTML versions of any document encoded in any new documentation
>     format;
>     - must be able to produce those automatically from the input, using
>     a script, not through any tools that require user interaction;
>     - tool chain must run on both UNIX and Windows
>
> Unless the SGML tool chain satisfies those requirements, I'd keep looking.

The SGML tool chain can satisify these requirements by going through TeX
instead of RTF. On my machine RTF is simpler because I don't have a
modern TeX installed. If TIM's output formats look especially
interesting for some particular project (texinfo for Emacs?) we could go
through sgmllib.py->TIM as well.

 Paul Prescod