[DOC-SIG] SGML for Python Documentation

Bill Janssen janssen@parc.xerox.com
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 18:29:41 PST

Excerpts from ext.python: 13-Nov-97 [DOC-SIG] SGML for Python D.. Paul
Prescod@technologis (10796*)

>  * Ran the result through Norm Walsh's DocBook DSSSL stylesheets for
> print and HTML
>  * Loaded the resulting RTF file into Word
>  * Made a PostScript file (warning -- Word PS files are "funny" -- I
> wouldn't copy them directly to a PS printer if I were you)

Yes, it's this kind of somewhat-defective tool chain that makes me
mistrust most current SGML-based solutions that I've seen.

My requirements:

    - must be able to produce good plain text, Postscript or PDF, and
    HTML versions of any document encoded in any new documentation
    format;
    - must be able to produce those automatically from the input, using
    a script, not through any tools that require user interaction;
    - tool chain must run on both UNIX and Windows

Unless the SGML tool chain satisfies those requirements, I'd keep looking.

Bill