[PYTHON DOC-SIG] New ni style example.

Mark Hammond MHammond@skippinet.com.au
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 10:45:53 +1000

>   I'd like to know where to find more specific information on the
> proposals; are they public in any way?  It sounds like a bad idea to

I saw it in a 5 line PC Week (Aust) article, so it sisnt say much.
It did say the MS' first proposal, and the modified ratified one,
are not compatible, so Microsoft are holding off on a public beta
until their tools support the raitified version.  But it is very
close.  Their Web site may have info, but I have looked for it.

> me, primarily because HTML just isn't strong enough for this kind of
> thing.  The HTML version should be generated from a more appropriate
> format.
I must admit to having the same thoughts, and MS pretty much _do_
have the technology to do this now!  But then again, the only real
problems I saw wrt moving from "winhelp" to "help" where these exact
issues.  It really isnt as if their existing toolset (ie, WinHelp) is
anything that flash in itself.  So while not a great step forward for
them, it certainly wouldnt be backwards, and gives their marketting
people something to play with (ie, they will tell you how they embrace Web
standards by using HTML, but will surely neglect to mention that
only their tools know about the format :-)

Mark.
Mark Hammond - MHammond@skippinet.com.au
Check out Python - _the_ language for the Web/CGI/Windows/MFC/Unix/etc
<http://www.python.org> & <http://www.python.org/ftp/python/pythonwin>