[DOC-SIG] Re: [PYTHON DOC-SIG] contributing documentation

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 12:50:37 -0400

Sue Williams writes:
 > of undocumented modules and discovered that the only one I have used
 > is commands.py!  But, we use it quite a bit and I would be happy to
 > document it.]

Sue,
  I've never heard of commands.py; documentation must be needed!  ;-)
  There is a template with instructions in Doc/libtemplate.tex;
existing documentation can be helpful as well if there's something
formatted in a similar way to what you want.  You might want to take a
look at the comments in Doc/myformat.sty as well, since some of the
commands are defined there.
  Guido has some recommendations on docstrings in the tutorial
document, but I don't know how well people have followed those.  For
standard library modules, perhaps the most important item is the
section for the reference manual (though others may disagree).
  Knowing LaTeX helps, and being able to run LaTeX to check the
results is crucial, but you should be able to do it without more than
the examples in the Python distribution.  Those of us familiar with
LaTeX can certainly help out if you get stuck.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.
fdrake@cnri.reston.va.us