[PYTHON DOC-SIG] Hacking relentlessly :-)

Daniel Larsson dlarsson@sw.seisy.abb.se
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 00:10:33 +0100

------------2B107203164210

Mark Hammond wrote:

> [You dropped the SIG - was that intentional?]

Nope! I resent my message to the group.

> > Why did you decide to skip the link if it wasn't collected?
Presumably
> > avoid having dead links, but that also means you have to "collect"
> > possibly
> > a lot of files in one run.
>
> Yup - this was the idea.  These links are "internal" by definition.
> If they cant be found in the current build, they wont be found later
> :-)

Ok. I sometimes used links to standard classes, but then gendoc assumed
the
resulting HTML files would reside in the same directory.

> Note that _no_ URL is entered.  The whole point of these markups is
> for the generater to _deduce_ the URL name, based on the object name.

Yes, I understand that. That's what I did as well.

> IMHO, it should be possible to create a single package with gendoc
> that has _zero_ bad links.  This currently is pretty hard :-)

Hmm, true. I insert all kinds of links, such as when you import modules,
inherit from classes, etc. Maybe add YAO (yet another option) to avoid
generating
links to things we're not sure are there (or perhaps the other way
around, an option to generate links regardless if they are seen during
this collect).

--
Daniel Larsson, ABB Industrial Systems AB

------------2B107203164210

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>Mark Hammond wrote:<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; [You dropped the SIG - was that intentional?]</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Nope! I resent my message to the group.</DT>

<DT><BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; &gt; Why did you decide to skip the link if it wasn't collected? Presumably<BR>
&gt; &gt; to<BR>
&gt; &gt; avoid having dead links, but that also means you have to &quot;collect&quot;<BR>
&gt; &gt; possibly<BR>
&gt; &gt; a lot of files in one run.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; Yup - this was the idea.&nbsp; These links are &quot;internal&quot;
by definition.<BR>
&gt; If they cant be found in the current build, they wont be found later<BR>
&gt; :-)<BR>
<BR></DT>

<DT>Ok. I sometimes used links to standard classes, but then gendoc assumed
the</DT>

<DT>resulting HTML files would reside in the same directory.</DT>

<DT><BR>
&gt; Note that _no_ URL is entered.&nbsp; The whole point of these markups
is<BR>
&gt; for the generater to _deduce_ the URL name, based on the object name.<BR>
<BR></DT>

<DT>Yes, I understand that. That's what I did as well.</DT>

<DT><BR>
&gt; IMHO, it should be possible to create a single package with gendoc<BR>
&gt; that has _zero_ bad links.&nbsp; This currently is pretty hard :-)<BR>
<BR></DT>

<DT>Hmm, true. I insert all kinds of links, such as when you import modules,
inherit from classes, etc. Maybe add YAO (yet another option) to avoid
generating</DT>

<DT>links to things we're not sure are there (or perhaps the other way
around, an option to generate links regardless if they are seen during
this collect).</DT>

<DT><BR>
&gt; &gt; While on the gendoc thread: I usually run gendoc on everything
in the<BR>
&gt; &gt; standard distribution to put up docs for people in my department.
I<BR>
&gt; &gt; thought of adding<BR>
&gt; &gt; an option to &quot;collect&quot; every module (and package) along
the sys.path.<BR>
&gt; &gt; Comments?<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; Makes sense to me.&nbsp; This is what I do for ni(), so I suppose
it is<BR>
&gt; pretty similar.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; I also added a &quot;-s&quot; option to gendoc, so the skiplist can
be added<BR>
&gt; to.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
--&nbsp;<BR>
Daniel Larsson, ABB Industrial Systems AB<BR>
&nbsp;</DT>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------------2B107203164210--