[PYTHON DOC-SIG] Hacking relentlessly :-)

Daniel Larsson dlarsson@sw.seisy.abb.se
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 00:03:28 +0100

------------39545E9334D49

Mark Hammond wrote:

 > Ive added cross-references in the text.  I dont know what syntax to
> use.  My current hacks allow docstrings such as:
> "See also @a.b.c@", and "a.b.c" will be translated into a hyperlink
> if such an object has been collected in this run, else into Bold.
>
> What syntax should I use for this?  I thought of a regex that
> dectected _any_ "a.b.c", but in some cases, the link will be a single
> word - ie, no "." sep'd.

Originally, I had a syntax for doing this, but I removed it. I always
made  the link, however, regardless of whether the source was collected
or not.  Why did you decide to skip the link if it wasn't collected?
Presumably to  avoid having dead links, but that also means you have to
"collect" possibly  a lot of files in one run.

> Also, I noticed that manpage.py did _not_ process markups or internal
> hyperlinks for list definitions, etc - only paragraphs.  Is there a
> reason for this?  Having markups and links in definition lists seems
> pretty logical to me...

Ooops, yes of course that's logical. Stupid darn mistake of mine.

While on the gendoc thread: I usually run gendoc on everything in the
standard distribution to put up docs for people in my department. I
thought of adding  an option to "collect" every module (and package)
along the sys.path. Comments?

--  Daniel Larsson, ABB Industrial Systems AB

------------39545E9334D49

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>Mark Hammond wrote:</DT>

<DT>&gt;</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;&gt; Ive added cross-references in the text.&nbsp; I dont know
what syntax to</DT>

<DT>&gt; use.&nbsp; My current hacks allow docstrings such as:</DT>

<DT>&gt; &quot;See also @a.b.c@&quot;, and &quot;a.b.c&quot; will be translated
into a hyperlink</DT>

<DT>&gt; if such an object has been collected in this run, else into Bold.</DT>

<DT>&gt;</DT>

<DT>&gt; What syntax should I use for this?&nbsp; I thought of a regex
that</DT>

<DT>&gt; dectected _any_ &quot;a.b.c&quot;, but in some cases, the link
will be a single</DT>

<DT>&gt; word - ie, no &quot;.&quot; sep'd.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Originally, I had a syntax for doing this, but I removed it. I always
made&nbsp; the link, however, regardless of whether the source was collected
or not.&nbsp; Why did you decide to skip the link if it wasn't collected?
Presumably to&nbsp; avoid having dead links, but that also means you have
to &quot;collect&quot; possibly&nbsp; a lot of files in one run.&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&gt; Also, I noticed that manpage.py did _not_ process markups or internal</DT>

<DT>&gt; hyperlinks for list definitions, etc - only paragraphs.&nbsp;
Is there a</DT>

<DT>&gt; reason for this?&nbsp; Having markups and links in definition
lists seems</DT>

<DT>&gt; pretty logical to me...</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Ooops, yes of course that's logical. Stupid darn mistake of mine.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>While on the gendoc thread: I usually run gendoc on everything in the
standard distribution to put up docs for people in my department. I thought
of adding&nbsp; an option to &quot;collect&quot; every module (and package)
along the sys.path. Comments?</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>--&nbsp; Daniel Larsson, ABB Industrial Systems AB</DT>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------------39545E9334D49--