[PYTHON DOC-SIG] SGML-Tools

Fred L. Drake fdrake@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 11:13:47 -0500 (EST)

Anthony Baxter wrote:
> What about XML? <URL:http://www.sil.org/sgml/related.html#xml>:

  XML is fine, but doesn't obviate the need for a DTD for our
application.  The advantages of XML at this point appear to be that
many of the more difficult SGML constructs not often used simply
aren't there and aren't needed for a general implementation.  I see no
reason that we couldn't use a DTD valid both for XML and SGML.
("Valid" XML is always valid SGML.)
  Whatever approach we take will require a bit of real decision-making
regarding requirements and level of strictness which can be
effectively used and enforced.  I don't expect a set of translation
tools from whatever source form we use to multiple interesting targets
would be a problem if we have a clear and documented approach to using
the framework.  Processing tools can be included with the document
sources.
  So how many of us have any knowledge or experience in DTD
development?

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.