[PYTHON DOC-SIG] SGML-Tools

David Ascher da@maigret.cog.brown.edu
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 14:48:07 -0500 (EST)

> On the other hand, the list of software that is *required* to make it
> work is rather impressive, and I wonder how easy it would be to do
> some of the conversion steps on Windows (or Mac, but the larger market
> share has more power :-( ).

They are planning to move to PERL as their awk/sed replacement.  I
suspect if we intervened, we might be able to convince them to use
Python (especially if the regex stuff goes through =).  Then we
wouldn't have any problems.   Has anyone tried to make a PythonAWK?

> If someone steps forward and converts the library manual (or a single
> chapter or even section) to SGML, that would be great.  I expect that
> the fastest approach is to develop a flexible latex-to-anything
> converter...  I'd also be interested in conversion results to TIM, and
> would like to consider a comparison of the quality of the restulting
> Postscript and HTML (being probably the most useful output formats).

Right.  TIM has a slightly different look and feel in the HTML mode,
and both look great as Latex/dvi/postscript documents.  One issue
which I think neither probably deal with very well is the notion of
cross-references (which should become HREF's).  For example, references
to functions in other modules should become href'ed automatically.

I know that emacs has good smgls support, but I haven't tried to
write with it.

--david