[Distutils] status check on PEP 517

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Thu Jul 20 06:33:26 EDT 2017

I'm also not going to have much time to keep discussing this over the
next few days.

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017, at 11:22 AM, Paul Moore wrote:
> 2) I'd much rather if we're going for a "stop and take stock" style of
> reset, that we base that off what's currently in the official version
> of the PEP. Trying to read a new document and identify the differences
> from the working version is both time consuming and error prone. I
> don't think there's any reason that any of your questions wouldn't
> just as reasonably apply to the official version of the PEP.

Agreed. I skimmed through Nathaniel's version. The changes I notice
relative to the working version in the peps repo are:

1. Removes the build_directory= parameter
2. Removes the optional hook prepare_metadata_for_build_wheel
3. Adds an extension namespace keyed by the name of the frontend
specifying the hooks (e.g. backend.extensions['pip'].some_extra_hook )

Thomas