[Distutils] Adding local options to commands

Simon Kennedy sffjunkie+python at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 09:15:44 EST 2017

Is there a recognized way to add options to distutils commands that are
only for my local environment?

For example I stick all my build artifacts in a directory, that is not in
the source directory, and that will not be on the machine of someone who
checks out my code. So I don't want to add it into setup.cfg where it will
get checked in.

For example I set

    bdist-base = ../../build/astral/master/tmp/bdist

that other people won't want it to be written to.

Currently I've created a setup-dev.cfg file and added code to my local
distutils to also look in this file for options.