[Distutils] Deprecating little used file types/extensions on PyPI?

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Aug 15 15:40:07 EDT 2016

> On Aug 15, 2016, at 3:27 PM, Thomas Kluyver <thomas at kluyver.me.uk> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2016, at 08:09 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:
>> Finally, bdist_egg is quite possibly the trickiest one to justify. A fair
>> number of people still upload eggs, even though we have the wheel format.
>> However, I think that we should (and generally do) consider eggs to be
>> deprecated and while we don't want to break existing packages by removing
>> them,
>> we should block further uploads for them. Looking again at the download
>> numbers
>> eggs represented only 1.8% of total downloads in the last 30 days while
>> wheels
>> represented 41% and sdists represented 56%.
>
> Is it possible to get the numbers for the proportion of uploads
> represented by different formats?

I’m not sure what you mean exactly, the numbers in my original email:

* sdist: 506,585
* bdist_wheel: 81,207
* bdist_egg: 48,282
* bdist_wininst: 14,002
* bdist_dumb: 5,502
* bdist_msi: 497
* bdist_rpm: 464
* bdist_dmg: 45

represent the total files uploaded for each file type. Do you just want
them converted to percentages? If so they’re:

* sdist: 77.1%
* bdist_wheel: 12.3%
* bdist_egg: 7.3%
* bdist_wininst: 2.1%
* bdist_dumb: 0.8%
* bdist_msi: 0.07%
* bdist_rpm: 0.07%
* bdist_dmg: 0.006%

Or were you wondering for the last 30 days like I did for downloads? If
so then:

* sdist: 15601 (66%)
* bdist_wheel: 6398 (27%)
* bdist_egg: 1076 (4.5%)