[Distutils] Making pip and PyPI work with conda packages

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Wed May 20 21:05:27 CEST 2015

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov>
wrote:

> The package includes its build recipe in info/recipe
>>>

>> very cool -- I hadn't seen that -- I'll go take a look at some packages
>> and see what I can find.
>>

> Darn -- the recipe is not there in most (all?) of the packages that came
> from Anaconda -- probably due to the legacy issues David referred to.

The other day, I upgraded the version of conda-recipes/arrow to v0.5.4, and
added ofxparse.

I should probably create some sort of recurring cron task to show how far
behind stable the version number in the meta.yaml is. (see: conda skeleton
--version-compare issue/PR (GH:conda/conda-build))

> And since a conda package is "just" a tar archive, you can presumably
> build them in other ways than a conda build recipe.
>
> By the way -- libxml is one example of one without a recipe...

Hours of compilation time.

* https://www.google.com/#q=inurl:libxml2+conda+meta.yaml (3 results)
* https://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=search&term=buildout+libxml
  * https://pypi.python.org/pypi/z3c.recipe.staticlxml/0.10