[Distutils] Secondary package indexes

Ionel Cristian Mărieș contact at ionelmc.ro
Sun Apr 19 15:00:44 CEST 2015

Hello,

Probably this has been discussed in the past but I'm asking anyway cause
I'm not sure what's it at now.

Currently there's this problem with wheels, many package authors don't
publish them for the platforms I'm using. I'm speaking about the wheels
that need a compiler and/or other annoying dependencies.

It would be really nice if one could configure pip to look into a secondary
(external) indexes. This way someone could make his own index with windows
wheels, another person could make an index with wheels for ubuntu 14.04 and
people can use those to avoid the pain of compiling the packages.

This is already popular, eg: http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/ but
not readily usable with pip.

Maybe PyPI could even provide hosting for these 3rd party wheels, this
would make publishing very easy and lower the entry bar.

I believe we'll never get package authors to publish wheels for platforms
they don't care about. But other people might - we just need to make this
easy and convenient.

Thanks,
-- Ionel Cristian Mărieș, http://blog.ionelmc.ro