[Distutils] PyPI upload failed (302): Moved Temporarily

W. Trevor King wking at tremily.us
Tue Jul 2 13:47:32 CEST 2013

Hello list!

I'm having a bit of trouble getting a new package setup on PyPI.  I've
done this a few times in the past, but maybe not since the wiki
hacking that inspired the HTTPS transition back in February.  I did
change my password back then, so I don't think that's the problem.
Anyhow, with the old URL (still mentioned in the distutils docs [1]):

  http://www.python.org/pypi

in my ~/.pypirc, I get:

  $ python setup.py register -r pypi
  running register
  running check
  Registering pycalendar to http://www.python.org/pypi
  Server response (403): You are not allowed to store 'pycalendar' package information

With https://pypi.python.org/ in my ~/.pypirc, I get:

  $ python setup.py register -r pypi
  running register
  running check
  Registering pycalendar to https://pypi.python.org/
  Server response (200): OK

Ok, how about uploading a tarball?  With the https:// URL:

  $ python setup.py sdist upload -r pypi
	…
	running upload
  Submitting dist/pycalendar-0.1.tar.gz to https://pypi.python.org/
  Upload failed (302): Moved Temporarily

With the http:// URL:

  $ python setup.py sdist upload -r pypi
	…
  running upload
  Submitting dist/pycalendar-0.1.tar.gz to http://www.python.org/pypi
  Upload failed (403): You are not allowed to edit 'pycalendar' package information

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Trevor

[1]: http://docs.python.org/3/distutils/packageindex.html#the-pypirc-file