[Distutils] total uninstall of setuptool on MacOS X by consequence of manual install

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Wed May 16 02:35:59 CEST 2012

In article <4FB2E02F.2070602 at gmail.com>,
 Arturo Rinaldi <arty.net2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> can i remove /setuptools.pth and //setuptools-0.6c11-py2.7.egg /too ?
> I'd like also to perform a total clean uninstallation so i searched in
> my HD and i found that i still have the files :
>
> *//usr/bin/easy_install
> /usr/bin/easy_install-2.5
> /usr/bin/easy_install-2.6
> /usr/bin/easy_install-2.7 /*
>
> and the following directories (i attach the output in a text file). I
> also installed python-numpy through it and then uninstalled the package
> itself in the standard way.
>
> Which directories and files can i delete without harming my system (so i
> can totally switch to macports) ? Thx in advance.

Those easy_installs are shipped by Apple as part of OS X and they apply
to the Apple-supplied system Pythons.  You should not attempt to remove
them.  If you are installing a MacPort Python, you need to install the
corresponding MacPorts easy_install port, currently provided by
pyxx-distribute and ensure you are using it instead of one of the system
ones (and assuming MacPorts doesn't already provide a port of the
third-party Python package you want to use).  A very simplified example
of what you'd need for the a default install of the latest MacPorts
Python 2.7:

$ sudo /opt/local/bin/port selfupdate
$ sudo /opt/local/bin/port install py27-distribute
$ sudo /opt/local/bin/port select --set python python27
$ export
PATH=/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:
/opt/local/bin:$PATH
$ which easy_install-2.7
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/easy_
install-2.7

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org