[Distutils] Distribute without 2to3

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 22 02:19:20 CEST 2011

Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip <at> yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Out of 398 packages on PyPI which have a Python 3 trove classifier, apparently
> 310 were installed without errors. The other 88 had errors, some of which are
> project related (e.g. 14 SyntaxErrors) or have specific version requirements (8
> insist on Python 3.1, for example), and others of which are due to missing
> dependencies or missing README files (7 instances).

During this testing I came across a couple of pysetup3 issues:

1. It doesn't appear to like archive names containing spaces (example: the
"ISO8583 Module" on PyPI)

2. It ("pysetup3 install tarball") leaves temporary folders lying around (the
ones that contain the expanded archive to be installed, e.g.

/tmp
  tmpiv3p7u
    pythonselect-1.2
        The contents of pythonselect-1.2.tar.gz

Although there are similar issues on the tracker, they don't seem to be quite
the same - are these known issues, or should I log them?

Regards,

Vinay Sajip