[Distutils] Distribute without 2to3

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 22 01:46:35 CEST 2011

Lennart Regebro <regebro <at> gmail.com> writes:

> That's a good test. Next step is to try make a buildout with it, and
> then do the same under 2.6 and 2.4. If that all passes, it's in a good
> usable state, I would say.

I haven't had a chance to look at buildout and not sure what recipes need to be
tried, but just testing installing the projects on PyPI using pythonv, pysetup3
and this Distribute version has been instructive. I was getting some errors with
BitBucket's CDN serving up old versions of files, so I tweaked the version
numbers on the Disrribute download archive (and fixed one or two bugs) and
re-tested.

Out of 398 packages on PyPI which have a Python 3 trove classifier, apparently
310 were installed without errors. The other 88 had errors, some of which are
project related (e.g. 14 SyntaxErrors) or have specific version requirements (8
insist on Python 3.1, for example), and others of which are due to missing
dependencies or missing README files (7 instances).

I'm still looking, but I still haven't found any Distribute-related errors. Full
results on the 88 failures are at https://gist.github.com/1037662 - IMO 310 out
of 398 is not too shabby for this stage in the proceedings (around 78%).

Regards,

Vinay Sajip