[Distutils] 3.3 / packaging - support for Windows installation locations

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Sat Jun 18 23:59:51 CEST 2011

> Okay, I'll look at these - thanks. Is there somewhere online where
> design notes and ideas are being collected / summarised?

Not really.

* The bug report about config/cache/etc. paths API contains most of the
discussion and links to python-dev threads.  This is not related to
packaging.

* The bug report about configure links to the wiki I used last summer
and my repository with the code; a few things are only in Tarek’s head.

* The thinking about sysconfig.py, sysconfig.cfg and
_sysconfig.cpython3.3.so is scattered on two or three bug reports and
https://bitbucket.org/tarek/distutils2/src/tip/docs/design/wiki.rst .

> It's hard to tell which parts of e.g. notmyidea.org and
> python-distribute.org are still current.

Yeah.  Last summer, I pulled from all GSoC students repos and merged the
docs so that notmyidea could always have all doc, even though not all
the code was in the official repo.  Then Alexis changed it to use the
doc from the main repo, and then I think switched to readthedocs.

python-distribute is/was lead by the distribute group, which overlaps
with the packaging (distutils2) fellowship.  Its packaging guide was not
updated for a distutils2-in-the-stdlib world.

I could make a new landing page on the Python to explain the status of
distutils2, summarize future directions, tell where to find the docs,
link to the existing pages like
http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distutils/Contributing and
http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distutils/FixingBugs .  Do you think that
would be better?