[Distutils] setuptools passing arguments/settings to dependencies' dependencies

Kent Bower kb at retailarchitects.com
Fri May 7 22:03:11 CEST 2010

On 5/7/2010 3:26 PM, P.J. Eby wrote:

>> actually being read, by setting the DISTUTILS_DEBUG environment
>> variable to "yes", and then running "easy_install -v ." and observing
>> the output.
>>
>> I've pasted the output here: http://pastebin.com/1it5XPAL
>>
>> Hopefully you can make sense of the output.
>
> Yep.  The issue isn't with installation-time dependencies, it's
> build-time dependencies -- that's why I was confused.
>
> There was a change to how build-time dependencies are handled,
> specifically intended to fix a different issue with Paste,
> PasteScript, and PasteDeploy's dependencies on each other.
>
> My guess is that if you put eggs for those three packages in your
> third-party directory, the problem (or at least the problem with those
> three) would go away.

I do have these three .tar.gz files in my thirdparty/ directory.  Do you
mean I should try using the eggs instead and that would fix the problem
because they won't need to be built, only installed?

> However, I'll see if there's a way for "child" easy_install runs (as
> used for build-time dependencies) to inherit the parent's settings for
> things like --find-links, --index-url, and --allow-hosts (but not
> options that would interfere with the child install's options.

A word of caution: I imagine there are use-cases where this is not the
desired behavior.  That is, in some cases, perhaps it is desirable that
the dependencies do *not* inherit the command line and setup.cfg
settings from the parent?  But, so far as I can determine, that is how
c9 worked.  It might be a nice command line argument in its own regard
to be able to disable this inheritance, so each dependency uses only its
own setup.cfg settings - someone may *want* it to ignore the top-level
settings.

Thanks for your help again.

Kent