[Distutils] Bootstrap script for package management tool in Python 2.7 (Was: Re: [Python-Dev] At least one package management tool for 2.7)

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 17:52:30 CEST 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 5:32 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
[..]

>> Sounds like a simple installation instruction, I can't see the benefit
>> of adding a script for that.
>
> Of course! Because you are a developer. You need to be a user or at
> least QA engineer to see it. =)
>
> For now in its simplest minimal form that is possible to create in a
> day for 2.7 it is an simple text instruction. This will surely can be
> ready for 2.7. But in future distributions, i.e. in Python 2.7
> non-beta, it may be able to download required package management tool
> automatically if user agrees, unpack it to %TEMP% and execute
> "setup.py install".

You are completely right about the fact that our tools and guide are
aiming to developers.

The CPython distribution comes with the stdlib, no more no less. So
there's no point to launch the installation of a third party project
when you install CPython. And until the stdlib contains what it takes
to have a full-feature package manager, you will need to do an extra
manual installation to get one, or use another Python distribution
that contains one already.

Maybe you should use Python distributions like Enthought's or
ActiveState's ones, that are both including a package manager when you
install them.

Regards
Tarek

--